Monday, December 8, 2008

Thanksgiving in Washington, DC

We threw our usual Thanksgiving tradition out the window this year. My grandmother wanted to take us all to DC as a very very generous Christmas presenst. My little brother, Josh and his wife, Elizabeth have been stationed there with the Coast Guard for about 9 months now. We'd never been to DC, so Granny thought it was the perfect time to go.


My mom, grandmother, other brothers, Bryan & Justin, Mark and my brother's girlfriend Ashlie (yes that's 7 grown adults) piled into my grandmother's mini van and made the 15 hour drive to VA. Let's just say it was a rough trip! We did the whole thing in a day. Longest.day.ever.


Needless to say, we were ecstatic to finally be in Alexandria, VA.


I took a million photos, but it would seriously take a
lifetime to load them all on here..Here are just a few highlights.

Mark and I ready to go do some touring!


So was Justin :)



The gang ready to take the Metro for the first time.

Justin, channeling his bum side




Mom and Grams on the Metro

Tons of beautiful buildings right as we got off the Metro. The sky was the bluest blue!

Washington Monument


The reflecting pool was frozen solid!



Lincoln Memorial

Vietnam Memorial

Our uncle was killed over there. He was 22 and the oldest of 10 kids. He was at the end of his 3rd tour when he died. Justin and Bryan made a sketch of his name. It was kind of ironic that his name was so high up on the wall. My brothers who are 6'3" and 6'8" stood on their tippy toes to get it. Everyone on my Dad's side is very tall, so it was kind of funny that it really had to take an Allums boy to reach his name. :)

Korean Memorial


Pennsylvania Ave. I loved all the red, white and blue everywhere.

The White House!


Captiol Building


D.C. by far as the fattest squirrels I've ever seen in my life. They hung around all the little snack shops just hoping for people to give them food. They would practically climb into your lap. We saw one run off with an entire chicken finger that was bigger than he was. They were out of control! We found this little guy by the Capitol building. That's right..he found an unopened granola bar...bit that wrapper open and went to work.




We got a chance to meet up with Allen and Serena. Allen and Mark were roomies at Auburn. They got married 2 weeks after us and moved straight to Alexandria, VA. We went out for a delicious dinner then back to their place for Rock Band!



Out at ChiCha a hookah lounge in DC. I had never hookahed before. I didn't really care for it, but I loved the place..very loungy and look how pretty our hookah pipes were!

Elizabeth, Josh and Bryan..and yes, that's a nakie lady behind them.....
the front side version of her was right next to us....Awkwarddd

That sums up the DC part. A few pictures from our day in Alexandria next!

No comments: